Sunday, December 16, 2012

Changa and Chuddu

Changa and Chuddu are brothers. I don’t know precisely about their whereabouts, family and relatives. Some people say that they don’t any. Always, they are seen together at Chamkhar Town in Bumthang. They always wear the world’s most beautiful smile, and are very meek, friendly.

They are very popular and adored by the people of Bumthang. People offer them with garments and foods, all day. Or, at least, a packet of chocolate and cup of tea. No one ever detested Changa and Chuddu in this community. They are, in fact, raised by the Chamkhar community. Even the school students, at the end of each academic year, give away their garments and school uniforms to these brothers. See, the gho they are wearing are the school uniforms of Jakar HSS.

I don’t know how old they are. But I can presumably tell you…50s. Maybe not. And they are partially dumb, I mean it literally. But they are not the lesser human, certainly. When I was studying at Jakar HSS from 2001 to 2004, then, I first saw these brothers. Like a pair of doves, they would walk around the Town. Never separated, disarrayed – the manifestation of what a brotherhood should be.
 I don’t know what exactly their company for each other meant. But what I could sense is that two of them are their own humanity, very small though. They murmur, exchange smiles to each other and walk so buoyantly. Like us, perhaps, they might have their own language and wisdoms (understanding the essence of life and happiness).

And the space they inhibit and loiter around is their own world. I know that they have not seen the world beyond Chamkhar. They don’t need it to, by the way. And I’m very much sure that both of them won’t get married and have their own offspring.

However, Changa and Chuddu - their names and memories - are engraved in the hearts and minds of the people of Bumthang and those who worked and studied there. After their demise, I’m very much sure that their names would be chanted and relished by people, for eternity.

Photo courtesy: Tashi Namgay 

4 comments:

  1. Touching, loving and enviable the most. I can feel the perfect happiness on their face, living one day at a time, without any desire...

    I can't imagine how one brother will live when the other one dies... perhaps they may die together... I would love to meet them once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that's a sweet memory down the lane.

    Who would forget these 2 brothers if one had lived in Chamkhar? Their names and memories are still etched in my mind, memories of them in the students discarded ghos (as seen here) with 'hemchus' as large as themselves :)with everything from food to drinks in it

    Loved the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for shearing such amazing article concerning changa for sale, your article carries information about the about products that i will like to shear with you our own findings
    buy changa online
    read more...

    ReplyDelete